Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials seek assistance in planning for marine park



Officials seek assistance in planning for marine park

A map marking the area of Cambodia’s first marine national park from a February 8 sub-decree signed by the Prime Minister establishing the park. Photo supplied
A map marking the area of Cambodia’s first marine national park from a February 8 sub-decree signed by the Prime Minister establishing the park. Photo supplied

Officials seek assistance in planning for marine park

Environmental officials confirmed yesterday that they are seeking the assistance of conservation NGO Fauna and Flora International (FFI) in drafting a management plan for the new Koh Rong Marine National Park, and that for now, the previous conservation structure operated by the Fisheries Administration and FFI will remain in place.

“Right now we are looking for technical cooperation with FFI, for support by experts and scientific research to make the management plan,” said Thay Chantha, director of the Ministry of Environment’s Marine Conservation Department.

Prior to last month’s establishment of the park, subject to the Protected Areas Law, the waters around Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloem were protected by a Marine Fisheries Management Area (MFMA) established in 2016 by the FiA and FFI.

“Everything the MFMA has, they have to continue, but they have to cooperate with the [Ministry of Environment], especially with our rangers at the sub-national level,” Chantha said, noting that rangers are on site to patrol land designated for protection, and will also begin to patrol the waters using one speedboat. “The fisheries conservation area is the part of the [new park], but that part will have some review because it does not fit the Protected Areas Law,” he continued.

In an emailed statement yesterday, FFI Coastal and Marine Conservation Project Manager Marianne Teoh said the organisation is in discussions with the MoE “to understand their vision for the site, to discuss technical support and to ensure that this new legislation will reinforce the ongoing protection efforts at the site”.

The Preah Sihanouk Fisheries Administration confirmed they would continue to operate in the park as before until otherwise instructed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting