Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials seek removal of department heads



Officials seek removal of department heads

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Pailin provincial land management department director So Sokhon. Pailin Provincial Land Management Department

Officials seek removal of department heads

Nine officials from the Pailin provincial land management department have thumbprinted a petition for the removal of their director and his deputy, accusing them of incompetence due to a lack of leadership and pertinent skills as well as engaging in discrimination and corruption.

In a letter dated February 5 addressed to Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea Sophara and seen by The Post on February 21, the group requested that their superiors be replaced with officials who could foster departmental unity and cooperative productivity.

“We are dissatisfied with the leadership of land management department director So Sokhon and the deputy director in charge of the cadastre Keo Sovath, who are incompetent and unskilled in cadastral work, uncommunicative and discriminatory in opinions and decisions in an inappropriate manner. They are unsuitable as leaders,” the petition said.

The accusation against Sokhon said his mismanagement had led to a deep rift in the department. He was accused of ignoring recommendations and procedures while precluding officials from performing their tasks – instead delegating to preferred interns – and of withholding from officials half of the stipends allotted for their out-of-office assignments.

Sovath was accused of being unqualified for his position, misusing assistants for his personal interests and failing to perform official duties resulting in delays and unresolved cases left for others to address. He is also accused of running a separate, unofficial registration scheme which defrauded the public.

Sokhon, however, denied the charges, telling The Post on February 21 he had heard that minister Sophara had already written a letter to the petitioners stating that no action would be taken.

He disputed the allegations that he was partisan and discriminatory, claiming that he had never had any problems with subordinates in the past and that work went on as usual.

“Working proceeds as normal. It’s their problem for those who complained. Among the complainants are two officials who have been transferred to other positions and are no longer under the control of the department,” Sokhon said.

Recently appointed Pailin provincial governor Ban Sreymom told The Post: “It is not yet possible to say which side is right and which is wrong because I am still new here. I’ve already become acquainted with all of those involved, and most importantly, I am reviewing all the work that was done in the past".

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting