Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials stop outsiders travelling to Sesan dam




Officials stop outsiders travelling to Sesan dam

Villagers gather yesterday to discuss plans for upcoming events as they await flooding caused by the Lower Sesan II hydropower dam in Stung Treng province. Mother Nature
Villagers gather yesterday to discuss plans for upcoming events as they await flooding caused by the Lower Sesan II hydropower dam in Stung Treng province. Mother Nature

Officials stop outsiders travelling to Sesan dam

Provincial authorities deployed police and Military Police officials outside Kbal Romeas village in Stung Treng’s Sesan district yesterday to prevent outsiders from entering villages threatened by flooding from the Lower Sesan II dam.

The police blockade came into force Sunday, when authorities detained and questioned 24 members of an indigenous network from Mondulkiri province at the provincial police station.

Vaing Samrith, an ethnic Phnong who works as a translator, said that 20 police and Military Police officers stopped him and a foreign photographer near the Kroobey Chrom pagoda as they tried to reach Kbal Romeas village yesterday morning.

The photographer corroborated the story but asked to remain anonymous. Samrith said that he and his colleague were forced to erase photos they took of the officers. After around 40 minutes, Samrith decided to turn back.

Meng Heng, of the environmental NGO Mother Nature, said three more foreign journalists were stopped by police yesterday for about 30 minutes. A video Heng posted on Facebook shows police stopping a crowd of people – including the three foreigners – along a dirt road.

Romeas residents and environmental activists from Mother Nature finally escorted the journalists past the police officials. Journalists seen in the video could not be reached as of press time.

Kbal Romeas community representative Dam Samnang said that he expects around 300 people from across Cambodia to gather in his village today for a series of events, including a press conference, traditional prayers and the construction of floating homes for locals in anticipation of flooding following the closure of one of the dam’s gates.

So far, he said, only 100 people, mostly members of ethnic minority groups from neighbouring provinces, have arrived, due to police interference.

Cambodian Indigenous Youth Association President Ngach Samin criticised police efforts to prevent outsiders from accessing Kbal Romeas and Srekor, pointing to Article 40 of the Cambodian Constitution, which protects citizens’ freedom of movement.

Provincial Hall spokesman Men Kong said police were only trying to prevent outsiders from entering the villages for their own good as rising waters caused by the closure of the dam’s doors threatens both Srekor and Kbal Romeas with flooding.

Yesterday, provincial authorities released a statement saying that Srekor village will flood on Friday and called on the village’s remaining inhabitants to abandon their homes.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15