Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Officials will not look into bomb blast that killed Australian, Cambodian at military base

Officials will not look into bomb blast that killed Australian, Cambodian at military base

Police tape cordons off the shack used at a shooting range inside a military base in Kampong Speu province, where an explosion killed an Australian man and a Cambodian solider late last week. Authorities say no investigation will be undertaken. Facebook
Police tape cordons off the shack used at a shooting range inside a military base in Kampong Speu province, where an explosion killed an Australian man and a Cambodian solider late last week. Authorities say no investigation will be undertaken. Facebook

Officials will not look into bomb blast that killed Australian, Cambodian at military base

Cambodian authorities yesterday said that they will not investigate a bomb blast that killed two people – one of them an Australian – at a military base in Kampong Speu province on Thursday because the matter was a “private case”.

Two Australian men, whose names have not been released by Australian authorities, visited a private shooting range within the military base last week – a spot apparently frequented by tourists who shell out up to $300 to fire rocket launchers and other military weaponry.

One Australian and a Cambodian soldier, Koy Mok, 52, were killed, while fellow soldiers Sok Sarith, 48, Long Vuthy, 50, and another Australian man received minor injuries.

Australia’s Department of Defence on Friday confirmed the accident did not occur as part of a military training exercise and that the men were not Australian Defence Force personnel – despite the initial claims of the Cambodian military, police and provincial governor that they were bomb experts.

Defence Ministry spokesman Chhum Socheat said there would be no investigation as it was a “private case”.

“Inside the unit, they are good friends with [the Australians]. They allowed them to visit privately. It’s not an official case, and is not concerned with the military operation,” he said.

He added the Australians were well aware of the “risk [to] their life”, and hung up when asked if soldiers at the base would be reprimanded.

National Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith and Ministry of Interior spokesman Khieu Sopheak – who in the past has said such public shooting ranges on military bases are illegal – both said any investigation would be a matter for the military.

One of the survivors, Long Vuthy, said on Monday that he believed he was in fact getting demining training from Australian experts at the time of the tragedy.

“I thought it was my lucky day,” Vuthy said adding he hoped to learn skills from the Australians, whom he said had been there for two days.

Vuthy said he was sitting about 3 metres behind Mok and the Australian man – who were wiping earth from the bomb to determine its age and origin – when it detonated, killing them both.

“When they removed the earth, they also caused the detonation,” he said. “They believed the old grenade was OK.”

“When it exploded, I thought I was dead because of all the shrapnel and injuries all over my body. I did not know east from west, and the bleeding was like a pig’s neck being slit. I did not dare to remove my shirt to see the wound.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro

  • Nestle’s debut may spur dairy market

    Leading confectionery manufacturer Nestle plans to invest in Cambodia by setting up an operation in the near future, a move majorly hailed by local dairy farmers as a means of boosting the fresh milk market in the Kingdom. During a visit by a delegation led

  • ACLEDA, WU to enable global money transfers

    Cambodia's largest commercial bank by total assets ACLEDA Bank Plc and global money transfer firm Western Union (WU) have partnered to offer customers cross-border money transfers to 200 countries via “ACLEDA mobile” app. In Channy, president and group managing director of ACLEDA, said the June 22 agreement