Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Old interviews put trio on spot

Old interviews put trio on spot

Old interviews put trio on spot

120215_02a

The three former Khmer Rouge leaders on trial at the United Nations-backed tribunal yesterday had media interview after media interview thrown back at them as the prosecution used their own words as evidence against them.

ECCC POOL
Former Khmer Rouge Foreign Affairs Minister Ieng Sary sits in the trial chamber at the Khmer Rouge tribunal in November last year.

Ieng Sary, as former deputy prime minister in charge of foreign affairs, was determined to damn Pol Pot and other regime leaders after he split from them in the 1980s, and inadvertently betrayed his leadership position in the regime and complicity in the crimes he is charged with in interviews he gave at the time, prosecutors said yesterday.

“Frankly speaking, in 1974, I talked with Pol Pot that taking people out of Stung Treng and Kratie was easy because there were not many people,” Ieng Sary told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in 1996 about the Khmer Rouge’s forced movement of the population out of urban centres.

“Out of Phnom Penh, not so easy. Everything must be arranged because there were millions of people,” he added.

The prosecution used previous media interviews to demonstrate Ieng Sary’s knowledge and complicity in the early pre-1975 cooperatives that served as a blueprint for the eventual brutal forced labour camps across the Kingdom, but also to highlight his pride and defence of the cooperatives, which have been characterised in the indictment against him as constituting crimes against humanity.

Critical to the subject matter of the first mini-trial in Case 002, the prosecution has brought forward documents they allege demonstrate that the three co-accused – Nuon Chea, Ieng Sary and Khieu Samphan – all participated in planning the evacuation of Phnom Penh, and that this evacuation, to some degree, would be a permanent removal of people from their property.

Ieng Sary, who has previously unsuccessfully claimed he is unfit to stand trial, was excused from the courtroom mid-morning as he had a “pain in his foot”.

Interviews that former Khmer Rouge head of state Khieu Samphan had given to journalists prior to his arrest and detention in 1997 were also used by the prosecution in an attempt to contradict his previous claims that he was the “Minister of Defence of Nothing”.

Khieu Samphan had boasted to Swedish documentary filmmakers that he was “integral” in uniting then-Prince Norodom Sihanouk and the Khmer Rouge forces.

“[The documentary is] evidence he had contemporaneous knowledge of the situation on the battlefield and his endorsement of that brutality,” senior assistant co-prosecutor Tarik Abdulhak said in court.

“[Khieu Samphan] had knowledge of meetings prior to the evacuation of Phnom Penh. We also see that Khieu Samphan accepted the use of violence.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman