Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - One dead, four injured after building collapse in Siem Reap

One dead, four injured after building collapse in Siem Reap

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An excavator lifts rubble from the site of a collapsed building in Siem Reap. siem reap police

One dead, four injured after building collapse in Siem Reap

A teenage construction worker died and four others were seriously injured after part of a building collapsed in Siem Reap early Sunday while under renovation.

Svay Dangkum commune police chief Sun Vandet told The Post that Khum Pich, 16, of the province’s Puok district, was found dead among concrete rubble. Four fellow workers were also pulled out and were sent to hospital by the authorities.

“Once our authorities arrived at the site, first we saw five workers stuck in the concrete pile, but four workers were taken out immediately and sent to the hospital. Another worker was stuck under chunks of concrete but he died before he could be pulled out,” Vandet said.

‘Not the first time’

He named the first four workers as Mut Ry, 18, Di Sna, 27, Sal Sek, 27, and Meu Met, 30. They suffered bodily injuries caused by the falling concrete.

When asked why the building collapsed during renovations, Siem Reap land management office head Sar Chan Phallin claimed “inappropriate renovations” led to the disaster.

Phallin claimed the building, located near the town’s well-known Pub Street, was a French colonial structure and had been used as a restaurant since then.

“It is regretful. We think that the renovation contractor did not know about the [previous] construction techniques and they didn’t ask for ideas from our experts either,” Phallin said.

He said this wasn’t the first time an old building in the area had collapsed during renovations. He recalled an identical case within the last 10 years where two workers were injured during a similar collapse.

On Sunday, the building project’s contractor announced that he would pay compensation of $3,000 to Pich’s family and $3,500 each to the four injured workers, according to a Siem Reap police report.

The report also said the authorities had put a temporary ban on projects at the site until experts were brought in to advise.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old