Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - One year after deaths, NGOs slam inaction

One year after deaths, NGOs slam inaction

One year after deaths, NGOs slam inaction

As a year approaches since government security forces shot dead at least five people on Veng Sreng Boulevard at the height of garment strikes and opposition protests, rights groups have condemned the lack of thorough investigations, including into the disappearance of a missing teenager.

Khim Saphath, 16, was last seen nursing a bloody chest wound after heavily armed security forces opened fire on strikers last January 3.

“The government claims to have investigated [his] disappearance, to have conducted forensic tests on the remains and determined that they are not those of . . . Sophath,” a statement from 35 NGOs says.

But authorities, the statement adds, have provided no details of the forensic investigation. They have also not requested DNA samples from Sophath’s family members for comparison. Human remains suspected to be Sophath’s were found near the notorious Brigade 70’s base in Kampong Speu province in May. At one point, they were in the possession of an opposition activist, but it is unclear at what stage the government took hold of them.

Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan said the Ministry of Interior had set up a special committee to investigate and referred questions to spokesman Khieu Sopheak, whose phone was off.

Several opposition lawmakers and NGO spokespeople also could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The NGO statement also calls the government out for its supposed “investigation” of the known deaths on Veng Sreng.

“A government ‘investigation’ into the violence headed by the Minister of Interior Sar Kheng is reported to have lasted just three weeks,” the statement says. “Few of its findings have been made public and no action is known to have been taken as a result of the investigation.”

The statement contrasted the slow progress of the investigation to the swift incarceration of 23 activists on January 2 and 3.

“In contrast, the 23 were held in pre-trial detention for five months and convicted following a manifestly unfair trial,” the statement said.

Sophath’s father, Soeun, said this week that he has heard little information about his son’s whereabouts.

“I have not filed a complaint to the police, because I don’t think they will take action or pay attention to my son’s case,” he said, adding he had instead complained directly to NGOs.

Memorial services at Veng Sreng, involving survivors, workers, NGOs and the opposition, will be held throughout the weekend.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MOM KUNTHEAR

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four