Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - One year on in Sokha case



One year on in Sokha case

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Opposition leader Kem Sokha is escorted by police following his midnight arrest in Phnom Penh last year. afp

One year on in Sokha case

The International Federation of Human Rights has called for the unconditional release of former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) leader Kem Sokha, as Monday marked the first anniversary of his arrest.

“After jailing Sokha in order to exclude him and his party from the recent sham general election, Prime Minister Hun Sen is now keeping him behind bars to use him as a bargaining chip in an attempt to avoid international sanctions."

“Sokha’s prolonged and arbitrary detention without trial must immediately end,” said Debbie Stothard, the federation’s secretary-general.

Sokha has been put on pre-trial detention for a year after he was charged with “conspiracy with a foreign country” – a charge which carries a jail term of about 15 to 30 years if found guilty.

He was arrested at his house in the capital’s Tuol Kork district following his return from abroad on September 3, last year.

Last Thursday, investigating judge Ky Rithy extended his detention by another six months on the grounds that there was a need to further probe the matter.

Ministry of Justice’s spokesperson Chin Malin said yesterday that demanding Sokha’s release would have no effect at all as the court will decide based on the facts and legal provisions, and not on particular requests from anyone.

“The way to help Kem Sokha is to participate in the legal process by trying to collect evidence to lift [his] burden. This is the best way."

“Even though the court decided to extend his detention, Sokha can file an appeal to the higher court for a bail,” Malin said.

In the meantime, the investigating judge also summoned Vorn Pov, the director of the Indepedent Democracy of Informal Economy Association (IDEA) as a witness in the case.

The August 28 summon, obtained by The Post, said Pov had to appear in court on September 10 to answer charges related to Sokha.

When contacted yesterday, Pov said he just received the letter and would be present at the court on the day, adding, “I don’t know why I was called to be a witness”.

In January 2014, garment workers staged a protest along Veng Sreng Street. Four people were killed during a confrontation with police and the military.

But a day earlier, a protest took place at Yakjin where Pov and 22 others were arrested.

“I did not go to Veng Sreng Street to protest, I just went there to observe the protest in front of the Yakjin factory, along National Road 4, and I was arrested at Yakjin on January 2, 2014,” said Pov.

Pov was then sentenced to four-and-half years jail in May 2014 for “intentionally causing damage with aggravating circumstances in accordance with Article 411, and “acts of violence with aggravating circumstances” based on Article 218.

However, his sentence was suspended after five months in jail.

The garment workers protested on Veng Sreng Street to demand an increase of the minimum wage to $160 a month from $95.

The government claimed that the protest was a part of “colour revolution” and accused the court-dissolved CNRP leaders of instigating the violent protest.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial