Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Only one of expected three refugees arrives

Only one of expected three refugees arrives

Refugees from Nauru arrive at Phnom Penh’s airport last year.
Refugees from Nauru arrive at Phnom Penh’s airport last year. Pha Lina

Only one of expected three refugees arrives

Only one of an expected three refugees based on Australia’s offshore detention centre on the island of Nauru arrived in Cambodia on Sunday, officials confirmed yesterday in the wake of conflicting reports.

The man, a refugee from Syria, touched down alone after Australian officials informed Cambodian authorities that the two others – reported to be an Afghan and Pakistani – would not be on the flight, refugee department director Tan Sovichea said.

“At first there were three volunteers to come, then the day that they were due to fly, we were told ‘not this time’,” Sovichea said. He did not know the reasons for their decision, but said they may still choose to come to Cambodia at a later date.

Sovichea added that the family of the refugee, who was previously reported to be Sri Lankan but is in fact from Syria, were welcome to visit and apply to stay permanently, but said the Kingdom “doesn’t have a law for the family reunion of refugees”.

The Syrian is the sixth refugee to take up the Cambodian option under the controversial A$40 million aid pact inked in 2014, but of his five predecessors, only one has remained.

The news comes in the wake of Australia’s opposition party declaring it would oppose the government’s proposed lifetime ban for refugees who try to reach Australia by boat, and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton promising to release details on a plan to resettle 700 refugees in a third country soon.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from