Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Only two complaints outstanding, NEC says



Only two complaints outstanding, NEC says

Election officials empty a ballot box to begin counting votes at a polling station in Phnom Penh.
Election officials empty a ballot box to begin counting votes at a polling station in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

Only two complaints outstanding, NEC says

Out of 64 complaints filed with the National Election Committee (NEC) over the June 4 commune elections, only two remain outstanding, the election body said yesterday.

The remaining issues are in Svay Rieng province’s closely contested Doung commune and in Kampong Speu’s Trapaing Chor commune.

The first concerns a complaint lodged by the CNRP in Doung over the conduct of the chief of the Provincial Election Committee, Em Sot.

The commune has been hotly contested. The Cambodian People’s Party, originally deemed to have lost the vote, prevailed in successive recounts.

Sot is accused of pressuring vote counters and monitors by standing too close while results were tallied, and handling the ballots inappropriately, said Y Muyly, the CNRP candidate for the area.

“He took the ballot papers which were not sealed into his room,” said Muyly.

“When the ballot got to the NEC, there was discrepancy.”

Keo Phalla, head of the NEC’s legal department, said he yesterday questioned the relevant parties and a verdict would be announced by Friday.

Meanwhile, in Kampong Speu’s Trapaing Chor commune, in Oral district, the CPP has complained that CNRP commune chief candidate Bun Vichet had gifted three mosquito nets to villagers.

Sa Im, chief of the CNRP executive committee for Kampong Speu, said he was under the impression the matter had already been resolved.

Of the 64 complaints, 59 were rejected, primarily because the body said they were filed too late. Three more, concerning recounts, were resolved.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants