Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ...Or showing the horror?

...Or showing the horror?

...Or showing the horror?

The Editor,

Your coverage of the aftermath of the grenade attack on 30 March 1997 graphically

illustrated - through words and pictures - that, as with all such attacks, behind

the cold statistics lie individual human lives, shattered by violence. In taking

the difficult decision to publish such personal and distressing details, your newspaper

has ensured that the full horror of the events of 30 March is known across the world.

People ought to know what took place in Phnom Penh on that day. National elections

are due in Cambodia in 1998. It is vital that the fundamental rights to freedom of

expression and association be upheld. All those who care about human rights in Cambodia

should appeal to the Royal Government to carry out a full investigation into the

attack of 30 March and ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.

- Rory Mungoven, Program Director, Asia & Pacific, Amnesty International,

London.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not