Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ordnance cache discovered in Siem Reap

Ordnance cache discovered in Siem Reap

Ordnance cache discovered in Siem Reap

cmac uxo siem reap
Members of CMAC’s Demining Unit 6 stand near unexploded ordnance uncovered in Siem Reap province, Monday, March 25, 2013. Photograph supplied

More than 150 unexploded ordnance and landmines were found yesterday morning in a rice field in Siem Reap town.

Chea Hanh, a member of CMAC’s Demining Unit 6, said a soldier called in deminers after stumbling across three UXO.

“We immediately visited the scene and softly dug about half a metre into the ground with a hoe, where we found 76 B40s, four B41s, seven anti-tank landmines and 69 bullet containers,” he said, adding that the cache likely dated back to the Khmer Rouge era.

Mean Sarun, manager of Unit 6, said the UXO appeared on the surface of the field following rain and that none were capable of going off.

“Those UXO were covered with rust and dirt for years and couldn’t be used anymore,” he said, adding that the cache would be destroyed today.

Already, approximately 1,000 UXO and landmines have been uncovered and destroyed in Cambodia this year, according to CMAC figures.

To contact the reporter on this story: Phak Seangly at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not