Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Otres beach stalls to be dismantled next week



Otres beach stalls to be dismantled next week

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The stall owners had asked the provincial governor for a suitable venue in exchange for their relocation on December 30, 2019 . Supplied

Otres beach stalls to be dismantled next week

The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration will take steps next week to dismantle vendors’ stalls along Otres Beach in the province’s Commune I, Stung Hav district.

The stall owners, who have been making a living there for some 20 years had earlier asked the provincial governor for a suitable venue in exchange for their relocation. However they claim they had not received any response.

Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesman Kheang Phearum said on Wednesday that the provincial administration’s letter dated December 4, last year, which said the stalls would be dismantled in line with maintaining the beauty and order at Ochheuteal and Otres beaches is ongoing.

“As a result, the provincial governor has handed over the work to the Preah Sihanouk district administration to implement. The stall dismantlement may be carried out next week.

“A few days ago, the stall owners protested at their locations regarding the dismantling of their stalls. But we had already given them warnings and a week to dismantle their stalls. But until now, they had done nothing,” Phearum said.

Yin Srey Hak, who has a food stall at Otres beach, said there were 62 stalls along it, but the owners disagreed with the provincial authority’s order to dismantle them and are demanding that provincial governor Kouch Chamroeun provide a solution.

“We have filed petitions to Chamroeun three times, but the provincial administration has not responded to us.

“Wednesday (January 1) was the deadline and the first day that the provincial administration said it will start to dismantle our stalls. We are preparing petitions to submit to the national level, and so far we have no solution,” she said.

Ek Vithean, a stall owner who has been running his stall on Otres beach for 21 years, urged Chamroeun to help the vendors who have had stalls there for many years.

“Our objective is to have the provincial administration keep our stalls at the same place, and just adjust them as the provincial administration wants to do. But they should not dismantle our stalls. No matter what they do, we will struggle to the end because these stalls are our pot of rice and our lives,” he said.

Rights group Adhoc Preah Sihanouk provincial coordinator Cheap Sotheary said the stall owners had protested against the provincial administration in regards to the dismantlement and sought to meet with the provincial governor for a solution.

“They tried to reach the provincial administration officials for a solution, but they did not meet anyone. Their intention was to continue selling at the beach. If the provincial administration intends to improve the stalls, the vendors will participate in the spirit of cooperation with the provincial administrators,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants