Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Over 15,000 workers to be kept in quarantine



Over 15,000 workers to be kept in quarantine

Over 15,000 workers to be kept in quarantine

More than 15,000 workers in Phnom Penh who took time off during the Khmer New Year holidays will be quarantined for 14 days before being allowed back at work.

In his letter to Minister of Labour and Vocational Training Ith Sam Heng on Wednesday, Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng said workers at various factories and enterprises in the capital returned to their hometowns despite postponement of the holidays and an inter-provincial travel ban to prevent Covid-19 spreading in the communities.

He requested the labour ministry to impose a 14-day quarantine on the workers.

Bun Heng said despite the relatively low number of infections throughout the Kingdom, most of which were imported, drastic measures are needed to prevent the coronavirus spreading in communities.

“To prevent Covid-19 transmissions among workers who return to their factories and enterprises, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training must quarantine them for 14 days,” he said.

He said the quarantine must be administered by medical staff from the labour ministry.

Labour ministry spokesperson Heng Sour could not be reached for comment on how the quarantine would be implemented.

But health ministry spokesperson Or Vandine said any quarantine would be carried out under existing guidelines.

Prime Minister Hun Sen issued an executive order banning people moving from one province to another from midnight on April 9 to Thursday.

Deputy Phnom Penh municipal governor Mean Chanyada said 15,726 workers from 672 factories in Phnom Penh had left for their hometowns during Khmer New Year.

Among the workers, he said 7,258 are in Por Sen Chey district, 2,341 in Dangkor, 1,251 in Kambol, 2,116 in Meanchey, and 1,068 in Sen Sok, while the rest work in the nine remaining districts.

The municipal hall had prepared 37 schools with 699 rooms to be used for the quarantine.

Municipal hall spokesperson Met Meas Pheakdey did not immediately respond to request for comment.

But Pa Socheatvong, chairman of the Phnom Penh Municipal Council, confirmed to The Post on Thursday that there had been discussions on how to quarantine the more than 15,000 workers.

He said relevant authorities had considered two options, whether to quarantine them at schools or where they lived.

It would be difficult, he said, to quarantine them at schools as that would require a lot of preparation including toilets, electricity, food and sleeping materials. He said the quarantine is meant to prevent a corononavirus spread in communities and not a punishment for beating the government travel ban.

“Finally, we decided to let workers stay at their locations, but we will make sure they understand the 14-day quarantine procedures. This serves to ensure everyone is safe,” he said.

Centre for Alliance of Labour and Human Rights (Central) executive director Moeun Tola said the quarantine would put even more pressure on the workers who have been suspended amid the pandemic.

He said some of the suspended workers had received only $30 of the promised $70 in social support from the government and factories.

“I think it would be better if we check their health when they return to work, like measuring their temperature and monitoring their health condition. Only those suspected of having contracted the virus should be quarantined for 14 days and hospitalised,” he claimed.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said