Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Pailin brothels closed

Pailin brothels closed

Pailin brothels closed

OFFICIALS in Pailin province have ordered the closure of 11 establishments in which customers were able to pay for sex, an anti-human trafficking official said Monday.

Nun Saroeun, deputy director of the provincial Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department, said the owners of the establishments had been ordered to sign contracts on August 10 in which they committed to closing last Thursday.

"The police and my staff investigated to find sex services being offered at restaurants, massage parlours and karaoke places, and we found that there were 11 in total," he said, adding that they expected to find more during future investigations.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Malaysian MP calls on his government to take stand on Cambodian elections

    A Malaysian parliamentarian raised concerns in his country on Wednesday about Cambodia’s July 29 national elections and urged his government to clarify its position on the subject, the Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR) said on Thursday. Wong Chen, a member of the People’s

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not