Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Palace chastises City Hall



Palace chastises City Hall

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Advisor to the Queen Mother Oum Daravuth, photographed yesterday criticising Phnom Penh Municipal Hall and the Ministry of Tourism for not displaying images of the King in Phnom Penh during Khmer New Year Pha Lina

Palace chastises City Hall

A royal adviser yesterday lashed out at City Hall and the Tourism Ministry for failing to display King Norodom Sihamoni’s picture on large billboards across the capital during the three-day Khmer New Year celebrations that ended on Sunday, calling the omission a devaluing of the throne.

In one-on-one meetings with media outlets, Oum Daravuth, the King’s personal adviser, said it was disappointing that the King’s portrait was not prominently displayed in public places and outside popular hotels in Phnom Penh during last week’s national celebrations, pointing the finger squarely at Phnom Penh City Hall and the Ministry of Tourism.

“It is the mistake of Phnom Penh Municipal Hall that is careless and the Ministry of Tourism that forgot its own obligation,” he said.

Daravuth went on to say that he wasn’t asking for an over-the-top display of the King’s portrait, just that they be placed at important locations, such as Wat Phnom and Independence Monument.

He took particular umbrage with hotels that displayed Santa Claus during Christmas but didn’t decorate or light up portraits of King Sihamoni, late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Queen Mother Norodom Monineath.

However, Daravuth could not say whether the practice had been followed in the past, only that he had noticed it this year.City Hall spokesman Met Measpheakdey said that they had put out an announcement in March asking relevant institutions to display the King’s portrait but that it was the responsibility of the National Committee for Organising National and International Festivals to organise such displays.

“We did not ignore it. We asked and motivated people to work on this, but how to display is the attention of each institution,” he said.

He added that if City Hall had been given specific guidelines and locations for such decorations they would have followed up on it.

Chhin Ketana, director for the National Committee of Organising National and International Festivals, again passed the buck to “relevant institutions”, saying his body was not responsible for displaying the King’s portrait. “We do not take responsibility for that,” he said.

Tourism Minister Thong Khon, meanwhile, said all hotels had been instructed to display portraits of the three royals, but that some had chosen not to decorate them for the national festivities.

“Any hotel that improperly displays the portraits, we will give them more advice as well,” the minister said.

Social commentator Meas Ny said that the display of the three portraits had seen a decline over the years, even in government offices, adding that there was no clarity or guidelines on the tradition.

Sombo Manara, a historian and professor at the Pannasastra University of Cambodia, said normally the display of the King’s picture on large billboards across the city was reserved for birthdays, coronations or visits by foreign dignitaries and was not synonymous with Khmer New Year celebrations.

He also added that such public displays were more prevalent during the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk’s reign, who was more iconic in his role as father of the nation, whereas King Sihamoni enjoyed the same reverence, though it was expressed differently by a more modernised society.

“We are still royalists and respect the King. But people are more educated and have experiences from other corners of the world, so they show it differently,” he said. Additional reporting by Ananth Baliga

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting