Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Palace visits may start on Friday

Palace visits may start on Friday

Palace visits may start on Friday

Mourners who have spent days waiting outside the Royal Palace to big farewell to the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk could be granted entry to see his body as soon as tomorrow, an official said yesterday.

As it emerged that 233 people were hospitalised after fainting outside the palace in a week of official mourning that ended on Tuesday, Nhek Bun Chhay, deputy leader of the royal committee co-ordinating Sihanouk’s funeral, said members of the public were free to apply for entry to the palace.

“We’re not allowing people who want to mourn the King Father to just enter as they wish, because this will bring about disorder in the Royal Palace,” Bun Chhay said. “It will be much easier for the committee if people submit a written application.”

Due to the number of officials and representatives wanting to pay their respects to Sihanouk today, civilians would face a wait of two to three days, Bun Chhay said.

Because applications had opened yesterday, however, the first public mourners could enter the palace tomorrow.

“People have to write a mourning letter stating their address and whether they intend to enter by themselves or with others, and we will schedule a time for them,” he said.

Prack Run, 65, a resident of Phnom Penh, said she would find it difficult to meet the requirements.

“I want to go to pay respects to the King Father, but I can’t get in now. I don’t know how I am supposed to send a letter. Where can I get information about how to do this?” she said.

Hundreds of thousands of mourners, including more than 10,000 monks, have poured into the capital to visit the Royal Palace since Sihanouk’s death in China on October 15.

The King Father’s funeral will be held in about three months, officials have said.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Health Department announced yesterday that as well as 233 mourners being taken to hospital after passing out in stifling hot conditions outside the palace, more than 3,800 people were treated by medical staff at the site for dizziness, headaches and colds during the seven days of official mourning.

“Most of those people were fine after some minor treatment,” health department boss Sok Sokun said.

Sam Rainsy, the self-exiled leader of the newly formed Cambodian National Rescue Party, meanwhile, has made a second round of requests to return to Cambodia to pay his respects to the King Father.

Rainsy faces 14 years in prison if he returns to the Kingdom, following being convicted in 2009 of charges including falsifying public documents, destroying public property, racial incitement and defamation. His supporters say these charges were baseless and politically motivated.

Rainsy sent three separate letters, dated Tuesday, to Prime Minister Hun Sen, the National Assembly and the Senate seeking a pardon, but is yet to receive a response.

“On behalf of Cambodian citizens, I have to reinforce a sense of national reconciliation and harmony and try to help work out the issues of our compatriots, which is consistent with the wisdom [and] vigorous stance of the King Father when he was still alive,” one of the letters, obtained by the Post yesterday, said.

Prince Sisowath Thomico, adviser to the royal cabinet and former secretariat of the King Father, said last week that the Royal Palace had not responded to Rainsy’s initial request to be allowed to return home.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • China steel company relocates to Cambodia

    Chinese state-owned iron and steel company China Baowu Steel Group Corp Ltd has unveiled plans to relocate its blast furnaces from Xinjiang Autonomous Region in the northwest of China to Cambodia, which will be the first overseas Baowu production plant, a Reuters report on Wednesday