Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Party, candidate registration window opens for national election; CPP submits documents



Party, candidate registration window opens for national election; CPP submits documents

Cambodian People's Party official Ork Kimhan speaks to reporters after submitting the party's registration for the July elections. Fresh News
Cambodian People's Party official Ork Kimhan speaks to reporters after submitting the party's registration for the July elections. Fresh News

Party, candidate registration window opens for national election; CPP submits documents

The Cambodian People’s Party and Cambodian Youth Party submitted their applications on Monday to the National Election Committee as it started accepting political party and candidate registrations for the upcoming July national election.

Registration will continue until May 14 for the July 29 election, which will be held following the forced dissolution of the Cambodia National Rescue Party and jailing of its president Kem Sokha on treason charges.

Ork Kimhan, deputy chief of cabinet of the CPP's central committee, said he submitted registration documents to the election body for 271 candidates across the country’s 24 provinces and Phnom Penh.

“I chose the first day because we are well prepared and so that we have time to make corrections [to the lists],” he said. He declined to divulge the list of candidates before the NEC approves it.

Cambodian Youth Party President Pich Sros said his party submitted 234 candidates across 17 provinces. The party was only contesting in provinces with three or more seats, he said.

Sros was among those calling for the dissolution of the CNRP last year, after his party and Funcinpec filed complaints with the Ministry of Interior over the opposition’s alleged attempt to start a so-called “colour revolution”.

The Supreme Court took up the complaint in November, dissolving the party and banning 118 of its senior members.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese