Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Party leader files suit over misuse of funds



Party leader files suit over misuse of funds

A screenshot from a video by Cambodia Youth Party leader Pich Sros in which he reveals he filed a lawsuit against two activists.
A screenshot from a video by Cambodia Youth Party leader Pich Sros in which he reveals he filed a lawsuit against two activists. Photo supplied

Party leader files suit over misuse of funds

Cambodia Youth Party leader Pich Sros filed a lawsuit on Friday against activist monk But Buntenh and Pa Nguon Teang, founder of the Cambodian Centre for Independent Media, accusing the pair of embezzling money from the late Kem Ley’s funeral fund.

Ley, a frequent government critic, was shot dead last year in an assassination widely believed to be politically motivated. Buntenh and Nguon Teang, themselves often thorns in the government’s side, headed the fundraiser for Ley’s funeral.

“I would ask his excellency prosecutor to open an investigation to find the donation . . . in order to find justice for the donors,” the complaint reads.

Sros recently filed a lawsuit against CNRP President Kem Sokha and applauded his controversial arrest.

Analyst Meas Ny said Sros may be in cahoots with the ruling CPP. “We often see some political parties claim to be independent, but show some bias to one of the two major parties . . . It appears he’s more on the side of the CPP,” Ny said, adding the lawsuit was “clearly politically motivated”.

“Pich Sros is hired. Meet to File Lawsuit,” Buntenh wrote in a Facebook post on Saturday, referencing the alias given by Ley’s killer, “Choub Samlab” or “Meet to Kill”, whom many believe to be a hired hand.

Sros, however, denied the accusation. “I am an independent politician. I have no communication with the CPP,” he said.

Ley’s bother, Kem Rithyseth, said yesterday that he did not oppose the lawsuit and said it was Sros’s legal right.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and