Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Payouts raise concerns for garment workers at shuttered factories



Payouts raise concerns for garment workers at shuttered factories

Benoh Apparel workers sit outside the abandoned factory in January. Workers from Benoh and three other factories have complained about compensation packages provided to them by the government.
Benoh Apparel workers sit outside the abandoned factory in January. Workers from Benoh and three other factories have complained about compensation packages provided to them by the government. Pha Lina

Payouts raise concerns for garment workers at shuttered factories

Garment workers from four factories have raised concerns over compensation packages prepared by the Labour Ministry and posted on the walls of the factories, claiming the allotments do not match how much was owed to them.

In February, the ministry announced that it set aside $4.6 million to pay severance workers at nine garment factories that were abruptly shuttered and whose owners absconded. The announcement came shortly after the Taiwanese owner of Yu Fa garment factory in Por Sen Chey district shut down the factory and fled while workers were listening to a speech by Prime Minister Hun Sen.

After announcing last week that workers from four factories – Benoh Apparel, Yu Fa Garment Industry, Great Honour Textile Factory and Chung Fai Knitwear – will be compensated before Khmer New Year, the Labour Ministry posted the compensation amounts at each of the companies on Friday.

However, workers have claimed calculations carried out by them and local unions don’t match amounts proposed by ministrys documents.

Roeum Saoleap, a worker from Benoh Apparel, said it was disappointing to see that she will receive only $41 after working nine years in the factory, pointing out that she has been on six-month contracts for that duration.

Short-term contracts are an issue that continues to plague the sector, with rights advocates saying their overuse violates the Labour Law.

Benoh ceased operations in November and gave workers $60 for what they said would be a two-month work suspension, promising to open again in January. But when workers returned, they found the owners had deserted the factory.

“Many workers at Benoh now get from $17 to $45 in compensation . . . Unions helped me to calculate that I get around $3,000, but in the list from the Ministry of Labour I get only $41,” Saoleap said.

A fellow worker, Sok Ley, also said there were irregularities in the records and calculations, noting some workers who had left the factory were also listed as receiving compensation.

Compensation for workers takes into consideration five factors: unpaid salary, annual leave, indemnity for dismissal, compensation for failing to provide a notification period and other damages.

Keoun Chivin, a worker at Chung Fai, said the ministry’s calculations only considered the first three factors, ignoring the last two. She claimed arrears of around $2,600 but is slated to receive $1,504. “We’re disappointed, as what we heard from the prime minister’s promise was that we’ll get all the payment according to the law,” she said.

“The ministry responded . . . that the budget the government has is to cover over 4,000 workers so they can’t provide everything accurately and they tried their best to pay that amount.”

Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour could not be reached.

Ath Thorn, president of Cambodian Labour Confederation, said the committee in charge of calculations probably did not get accurate documents for all the workers, especially those on short-term contracts.

“That is why we always ask to join in the committee to be involved in the calculation process and provide accurate payment to workers,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants