Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Permitted More than 25,000 get work cards




Permitted More than 25,000 get work cards

Permitted More than 25,000 get work cards

The Ministry of Labour granted about 25,000 work permits to foreigners in the first six months of 2015, about 5,000 more than they issued during all of last year.

Minister of Labour Ith Sam Heng yesterday partly credited the jump to a partnership with the Ministry of Interior.

“We have more people applying for employment cards,” Sam Heng said. “This is the result of cooperation between the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of Interior.”

Sok Phal, director-general of the Interior Ministry’s General Department of Immigration, said his department is cracking down on employment card and other documentation violations.

From January to June, 1,600 foreigners were deported due to documentation issues, 98 per cent of whom were Vietnamese, Phal said.

“Foreigners and investors do not have the right to work here without employment cards,” Phal said.

“If they do not have employment cards, they will be fined $125, and if they still do not obtain a card, they will be jailed for three months and then expelled.”

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.