Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh court begins trial of four for smuggling ‘uranium’ from Vietnam



Phnom Penh court begins trial of four for smuggling ‘uranium’ from Vietnam

The facade of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Licadho
The facade of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Licadho

Phnom Penh court begins trial of four for smuggling ‘uranium’ from Vietnam

A bizarre trial involving four men accused of smuggling uranium from Vietnam – despite the seeming impossibility of the liquid solvent in question actually being the highly radioactive metallic element – began yesterday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

What’s more, despite the accusation implying that a tightly regulated toxic material sought by terrorists had been spirited into Cambodia from a neighbouring country, authorities yesterday said that they have still not tested the substance nearly a year and a half since the men were arrested.

Chea Yu, a 44-year-old construction worker, was charged with the crime of possessing a substance used to produce chemical, nuclear, biological or radioactive weapons. Chan Thoeun, Tit Raksmey, and Dy Vibol were named as accomplices. Each of the men faces five to 10 years in prison.

“What was the substance? What was your master plan? Where did you want to destroy?” Presiding Judge Than Leng asked Yu, who professed that allegations the substance was “uranium” were news to him.

Yu claimed he was given the substance by a man in Vietnam only identified as “Mai”, who put Yu in touch with Thoeun to find buyers for the liquid.

Mai had told Yu the substance was an “acid used to test gold” that was worth $400,000 per litre, though a police report read in court stated that authorities believed the substance was uranium.

“I took it from him and brought it to Chan Thoeun to find buyers,” Yu testified.

The substance was transported in plastic water bottles in liquid form. Uranium, a metal, enters a liquid state at 1,132 degrees Celsius. Enriched uranium is used in nuclear reactors and to create atomic weapons.

Neither Cambodia nor Vietnam is known to have the capacity to enrich uranium.

Thoeun, a motodop, said he met Raksmey, a farmer, in a Phnom Penh café. The latter then connected with taxi driver Dy Vibol. Eventually, the group of four found buyers in Stung Treng province, and met them along with five others on August 30, 2016.

“We did the test on the substance by putting a small nail on a plate and pouring the acid on it. The small nail dissolved. While we were testing, the police came and arrested us. But they did not arrest the buyers and five other people,” Vibol said.

Still, Judge Leng questioned the defendants’ description of the substance’s alleged purpose, wondering how any gold merchant would be able to afford an acid test that expensive.

The four defence lawyers, meanwhile, maintained there was no evidence that the substance is a banned chemical.

“If my client and others had uranium or a poisonous substance, they would have already died, and the police also would have died. The police cannot prove it was a poisonous substance,” said Eng Sothea, who is representing Thoeun.

According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, exposure to the toxic and radioactive element is known to cause kidney damage and has also been linked to various cancers.

Ministry of Interior official Hy Pru, who headed the operation against the four suspects, declined to elaborate on why the substance was suspected to be uranium.

“The substance has been transferred to the Ministry of Defence for testing, so please contact them,” he said.

An official at the National Authority for Chemical Weapons, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, also said the substance has not been tested.

“We don’t have the equipment to test it. We requested to get it tested at the [Cambodian Mine Action Center], but CMAC also doesn’t have the equipment,” he said.

A verdict in the case is due on January 25.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year