Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh court concludes terror case

Phnom Penh court concludes terror case

Phnom Penh court concludes terror case

terror_case_lina
DP Paudel, a Nepali national, is lead to Phnom Penh Municipal Court today.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court today completed its hearings against three foreign suspects facing terrorism charges for allegedly sending threatening letters to the American, Australian and British embassies.

During the hearing, Presiding Judge Sun Visal said Cambodian police investigations showed the suspects had links to the al-Qaeda terrorist organisation and the Taliban.

“We think that this is one of the most serious crimes and complicated cases to be considered by the court,” said Sun Visal.

“We will officially announce their verdicts on the morning of February 16.”

The suspects – Rafiqul Eslami, a 42-year-old Bangladeshi national, Miah Muhammed Huymayan Kabir, a 62-year-old Bangladesh citizen, and DP Paudel, a 44-year-old from Nepal – were charged last June under the Kingdom’s anti-terrorism law.

They are accused of signing a letter threatening to attack the embassies and identifying the senders as members of al-Qaeda.

In multiple court hearings, the accused have denied sending any letters to embassies in Phnom Penh and have also denied involvement in any terrorist groups.

During today’s hearing, DP Paudel made a final plea for his release.

“I have not committed this crime against these embassies,” he said.

“Therefore, I would like to ask the court to drop charges against me and release me to go back to my country.”

Eslami, a former restaurant owner in the capital’s Chamkarmon district, has previously testified that he had been framed by people who wanted to extort money from him following the sale of his restaurant.

“I was friendly to all customers and people here ... and I didn’t write any letters that attacked the embassies like in the allegations,” Eslami said during his court testimony in January.

Muong Sokun, a defence lawyer representing Eslami, said: “If you really wrote a letter threatening the three embassies, would you dare to include your name and signature so that police could arrest you?”

If convicted on the terrorism charges, the suspects could receive between five and 10 years in prison.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • NOCC to contest petanque, tennis axe

    The National Olympic Committee of Cambodia will lobby hard over the next few weeks for the inclusion of the Kingdom’s most productive medal-earning sport, petanque, along with vovinam and tennis after the disciplines were left out of the initial list of 30 preferred sports for