Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh court to hold Ricketson hearing




Phnom Penh court to hold Ricketson hearing

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Australian filmmaker James Ricketson shows his handcuffs to the press outside the Supreme Court in Phnom Penh in 2017. Pha Lina

Phnom Penh court to hold Ricketson hearing

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court will hold the first hearing in the trial against Australian filmmaker James Ricketson on Friday, after closing the investigation last month, Ricketson’s defence lawyer said.

The Australian was arrested last June while flying a drone over a Cambodia National Rescue Party commune-election rally in Phnom Penh.

He was charged with “acts of collecting information which may undermine national defence”, which, according to Article 446 of the Penal Code, means Ricketson could face between five and 10 years in jail if found guilty.

Peung Yok Hiep, Ricketson’s lawyer, told The Post on Monday that she recently received information from the Phnom Penh Municipal Court that the first hearing would be held on June 15. She said she may request a postponement.

“The investigative judge just closed the investigation and then the case was sent to trial. This is too quick for us to make proper preparations,” Yok Hiep said on Monday.

Ricketson’s adopted daughter Roxanne Holmes started an online petition calling on the Australian government to bring him home. As of Monday, more than 76,000 people had signed the petition.

Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it had provided consular assistance to Ricketson since his arrest and are “liaising with Mr Ricketson’s next of kin and local legal representatives.

“The minister for foreign affairs has also raised Mr Ricketson’s case with the Cambodian government.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia