Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh gov’t warns of fines on improper garbage disposal

Phnom Penh gov’t warns of fines on improper garbage disposal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cintri workers collect garbage along Street 302 in the capital’s Chamkarmon district. The Phnom Penh Municipal Department of Environment on Thursday warned it would start imposing fines on residents who fail to dispose of rubbish properly. Heng Chivoan

Phnom Penh gov’t warns of fines on improper garbage disposal

The Phnom Penh Municipal Department of Environment on Thursday warned it would start imposing fines on residents who fail to dispose of rubbish properly after a campaign to raise public awareness about the law and the environment ends.

Municipal Department of Environment director Keat Raingsey did not provide a timeframe for law enforcement, saying only that the department’s working group would continue to educate the public about proper disposal before taking further action.

“Our working group is collaborating with local authorities across Phnom Penh to educate residents from door to door, in downtown and at markets, about proper waste disposal."

“As a reminder, we also posted the ‘dispose your rubbish properly’ sticker in their area. Until now, the authorities have yet to strictly impose fines. We are giving them more time to learn about the law first,” he said.

“Previously we just made offenders sign an agreement promising not to repeat their offence. We educated and warned them we would impose fines if they failed to comply."

“Following the agreement, we noticed that they behaved well. We will start imposing fines in accordance with the law after the awareness campaign ended,” he said.

Raingsey said since the campaign started, residents have demonstrated proper waste disposal by placing their rubbish properly and on schedule as determined by authorities and the contracted rubbish collector. Only a small number of residents, he said, had continued to dispose of rubbish in a disorderly manner.

Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said some 2,700 tonnes of solid waste and rubbish are disposed of in the capital daily, while recycling remains at a low level.

Men Kuon, a resident living along a railway in Russey Keo district’s Kilometre 6 commune, said she welcomed the environment department’s plan to impose fines if the measure is enforced after the education campaign ended.

She said residents needed time to learn about the law on waste management and environment protection.

“I think people have not completely understood the issue of waste disposal and its impact on public health. So if fines were immediately imposed, what would happen? Only when we fully understand can we address the issue effectively,” she said.

Soeung Saran, the executive director of housing rights group Sahmakum Teang Tnaut which has done research on urban governance and waste management in Phnom Penh, said on Thursday that local authorities needed to step up awareness-raising campaigns as residents in some areas are not well-informed of the matter.

Saran urged the authorities to more widely publicise existing waste management laws without further delay as immediate fines would be met with strong public reaction.

“Imposing fines is an effective way to prevent rubbish from being strewn disorderly. But before putting it into practice, a widespread public-awareness campaign is vital for residents to understand the law. This does not mean we delay law enforcement indefinitely,” he said.

The government’s sub-decree on the management of rubbish and solid waste in urban areas has been promulgated since 2015, with each municipal, provincial, town and district administration given 12 months to review and modify service provision contracts with rubbish collectors and residents in areas under their jurisdiction.

Raingsey told The Post on Thursday that the department’s working group is already prepared to enforce the law and impose fines on offenders.

According to Article 40 of the sub-decree on rubbish and solid waste management in urban areas, anyone found to have disposed rubbish and solid waste outside the hours and places determined by the authorities and rubbish collectors face a fine of between 20,000 and 400,000 riel ($5 and $100).

MOST VIEWED

  • Touch: Rainsy will never return

    Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has claimed it has achieved 70 per cent of its struggle to find a solution to the current political situation in the Kingdom. Just before boarding a plane at Charles de Gaulle

  • Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced

    Not satisfied with having his bail conditions reduced, allowing him to travel freely in Cambodia, Kem Sokha says he wants his charge totally dropped. “As an innocent man who has been in detention for two years even without being found guilty, I continue to demand

  • Sar Kheng: Rainsy return not blocked

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng clarified that Cambodia had never blocked Sam Rainsy from returning to the Kingdom. However, he said Cambodia reserved the right to take legal action as allowed by law against activities aimed at destroying the Kingdom. “No one blocked the return

  • Reports: Rainsy barred from Jakarta flight

    Sam Rainsy was on Wednesday refused entry to a flight from Malaysia to Indonesia, media reported late on Wednesday. The “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party’s announced return to the Kingdom on Independence Day on Saturday failed to occur. Rainsy

  • King Sihamoni presides over opening of Water Festival

    King Norodom Sihamoni presided over the lighting of the lantern barges, representing the many ministries, in front of the Royal Palace on Sunday as the first day of the annual Water Festival celebrations went smoothly. Bun Veasna, an official at the National Committee for Organising

  • Government studying EU’s preliminary report on EBA

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Wednesday said the government was studying the EU Commission’s preliminary report on the human rights situation in the Kingdom that could lead to a suspension of access to its “Everything But Arms” (EBA) agreement. The