Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh Municipal Hall calls for city dwellers not to litter during the holiday




Phnom Penh Municipal Hall calls for city dwellers not to litter during the holiday

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Phnom Penh residents have been advised not to litter when the majority of Cintri’s rubbish collectors are away during the holiday. Heng Chivoan

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall calls for city dwellers not to litter during the holiday

The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall called on city dwellers not to dump rubbish on the streets during the Khmer New Year holiday when Cintri, the company outsourced to manage the capital’s waste, partially stops their operations between April 14 and 17.

In a written statement, the municipal hall said on Wednesday that the majority of Cintri’s rubbish collectors would return to their hometown to celebrate the new year with their family.

During the holiday, it said, waste management services including collecting and transporting rubbish in the capital would not function normally.

“In order to preserve the beauty, sanitation and environment in the city, the municipal hall advises all Phnom Penh residents to compromise, given the circumstances."

“Please refrain from dumping rubbish on the streets during this period because waste management [services] will not function at full capacity. Each household must keep their waste to themselves on a temporary basis,” the statement read.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Met Meas Pheakdey reiterated that rubbish collectors will go on leave but the waste management activities would not be halted completely.

“Do not dump rubbish on the streets and wait until the period is over when the collectors will return to work as normal and be able to resume collection and shipping of waste to the dumping site,” he said.

He added that although the majority of rubbish collectors would be away, the amount of uncollected waste would not spiral out of control because a large number of city dwellers would also travel to other places.

Pheakdey said he is unable to provide a figure for the total amount of rubbish that would pile up during the Khmer New Year period.

“If residents keep their rubbish inside their homes, the waste would not accumulate. To urge them not to dump their household waste on the streets is why we are issuing this statement,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15