Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh to roll out free bus services during Khmer New Year

Phnom Penh to roll out free bus services during Khmer New Year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
At least 120 buses will be deployed to transport passengers to the provinces for free during the Khmer New Year week. Post PIX

Phnom Penh to roll out free bus services during Khmer New Year

The Phnom Penh government recently announced the provision of free bus services on a first-come, first served basis to the provinces during the Khmer New Year week.

The plan will see 120 buses deployed to “transport civil servants, armed forces personnel, garment workers, students et cetera” on the Kingdom’s national roads, according to the municipal hall statement dated Friday.

The buses are set to run from April 12-18 and will start their journeys from multiple departure points in and on the outskirts of Phnom Penh from 5:30am, once their seats are filled.

Departure locations are near the Mercedes showroom on Hun Sen Boulevard for destinations along National Road 1 and 2, such as Prey Veng, Svay Rieng, Kandal and Takeo; in front of Century Plaza Market for stops along National Road 3 and 4 in Kampot, Kep, Kampong Speu and Preah Sihanouk; and near the new Freedom Park in Russey Keo district for Kampong Chhnang-, Pursat-, Battambang- and Banteay Meanchey-bound buses set to travel along National Road 5.

Buses serving Kampong Thom and Siem Reap will depart from the Chroy Changvar Tep Machar roundabout on National Road 6, near the Chroy Changvar Bridge.

Other destinations such as Kampong Cham, Tbong Khmum, Kratie and Stung Treng will be served by buses leaving from in front of Royal Railway Station.

Sorn Pisey, a van driver who ferries passengers from Phnom Penh to Prey Veng province, said he wasn’t concerned about the potential impact of the free buses.

“The buses only transport them [passengers] to designated stops . . . they’d have to take a motodop or tuk-tuk upon arrival to reach their final destination."

“Therefore, the journey would still be money and time-consuming. Taking a van, on the other hand, is faster because we can drop them off right in front of their house,” he said.

Hang Kosal, another driver, echoed similar remarks but added that all van drivers, including him, would increase fares during the holidays.

“Most people will only leave Phnom Penh for the provinces, not the other way around, therefore I have to charge more.”

Despite the availability of free buses, Dos Sarath, who works at a private company in Phnom Penh, said he would travel to his hometown in Kampong Speu by motorbike as he is reluctant about leaving his vehicle at his rented house.

“If I had no motorbike, I would go by bus.”

A student at the Royal University of Phnom Penh, Man Panha, said he would travel to his hometown in Takeo province by bus.

“Travelling by bus is more economical, comfortable and safer. There are so many drunken people driving without obeying the traffic rules.”

In addition to the long-distance bus services, the municipal government also announced the deployment of 115 of the city’s public buses and four boats to ferry passengers across Phnom Penh at no charge for the same period.

The free bus initiative was first implemented for last year’s New Year’s holiday. Prime Minister Hun Sen announced the repeat of free services on Thursday because he said he could not prevent private bus companies and taxi firms from increasing prices during Khmer New Year.

“I don’t want to talk about the same issue with owners of bus and taxi companies. I’ve spoken with them many times in the past."

“I appealed to them not to increase prices during Khmer New Year and Pchum Ben. Some listened but some did not, so we have to release our buses,” Hun Sen said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network

  • Former CNRP activist nabbed for offering online English classes

    Authorities detained a high school teacher in Kampong Chhnang province on Thursday after he was caught conducting online classes despite the fact that schools had been ordered to close temporarily to prevent Covid-19 infections. Keo Thai teaches at Boribo High School in Kampong Chhnang and

  • Health ministry warns against using virus-testing machines

    The Ministry of Health has threatened legal action against anyone who publicised their test results after using COVID-19 rapid testing machines. The ministry said such machines were not even approved or recognised for use by the World Health Organisation (WHO). It said test the results

  • National Assembly approves two coal-fired power plants

    The National Assembly (NA) unanimously approved draft laws paving the way for the construction of two coal-fired power plants worth $1.665 billion to supply 100 per cent of electricity required in the Kingdom by 2025. An NA member said at the session that the plants will be located

  • The good and bad of credit growth

    In the last 10 years, the property and construction sectors have propelled Cambodia’s economy. But rising borrowings threaten to dampen its future unless something is done soon They say all good things must come to an end, perhaps not “the” end. A slowdown in real