Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh smothered in smelly, dangerous haze as landfill fire continues burning



Phnom Penh smothered in smelly, dangerous haze as landfill fire continues burning

A large plume of smoke rises from the Dangkao landfill in Phnom Penh's Dangkao district on Friday.
A large plume of smoke rises from the Dangkao landfill in Phnom Penh's Dangkao district on Friday. Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

Phnom Penh smothered in smelly, dangerous haze as landfill fire continues burning

A putrid haze that has bedeviled Phnom Penh since Monday night will likely continue as a landfill in Dangkao district continued to burn on Friday, creating health risks for the capital's residents.

Workers at the Dangkao landfill on site on Friday attributed the fire, which continued to produce a thick cloud of smoke, to hot weather and a buildup of gases caused by the decomposing rubbish.

“It’s from the gases inside [the landfill] and the hot weather. It’s like this for a few days,” said one landfill worker who requested anonymity as he was not authorised to speak to the media.

Though unaware of the fire before being contacted by The Post, Ministry of Health spokesman Ly Sovann warned of the public health risk it posed. He advised people to avoid the fire, wear masks, and immediately go to a local health centre or hospital if they experience severe coughing or difficulty breathing.

“Authorities should stop the fire of [the] landfill that could [have an] effect to air quality and affect human health,” he said.

Municipal governor Khoung Sreng said that up to 30 fire trucks - nearly the entire municipality's force - had been sent to the dumpsite, but he also minimised the scope of the fire, saying that just “a little” smoke continued to rise from the landfill.

“However it has little smoke because the mountains of garbage are piled up,” he said.

Sreng confirmed the blaze was caused by a methane buildup from the decomposing trash and said the continued deliveries of garbage were not being deposited where the fire still burns.

On Friday, Cintri garbage trucks continued to roll in and out of the landfill. Seng Sorida, a representative of Cintri, said the company has no responsibility for the landfill as it belonged to the municipality, and declined to comment further.

“Cintri trucks still go in and out to fill garbage and it’s okay to fill [it] in [the landfill],” she said before declining further comment.

According to a 2002 report by the United States Fire Administration, landfill fires pose considerable health risks. The smoke contains fine particles “which can aggravate preexisting pulmonary [lung] conditions or cause respiratory distress.”

The Ministry of Environment’s Office of Air Quality sensor, located atop the ministry building, has measured an average PM2.5 particle concentration of 28.01 micrograms per cubic meter so far for the month of March, lower than February’s average of 37.27 – when wildfires peaked throughout the country - but still higher than the World Health Organization’s guidelines recommended level of 25 micrograms per cubic metre or less.

Toxic smoke and gases are also a risk from landfill fires, according to the report, which notes that the danger and level of toxicity for humans depends on the length of exposure and the type of material burning. Carbon monoxide from such fires can deprive vital organs of oxygen “which can cause permanent damage or death”.

“Another serious concern in landfill fires is the emission of dioxins…exposure to high levels of dioxins has been linked to cancer, liver damage, skin rashes, and reproductive and developmental disorders,” the report states.

According to the US Environmental Protection Agency even a minuscule amount of exposure to dioxins can be linked to human health problems.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and