Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnong yet to vacate ahead of flooding



Phnong yet to vacate ahead of flooding

Community members cut bamboo to build makeshift rafts below their homes in preparation for expected flooding caused by the closing of the Lower Sesan II dam’s gates. MOTHER NATURE
Community members cut bamboo to build makeshift rafts below their homes in preparation for expected flooding caused by the closing of the Lower Sesan II dam’s gates. Mother Nature

Phnong yet to vacate ahead of flooding

A group of men from the 58 remaining ethnic Phnong families in Stung Treng’s Kbal Romea village began collecting bamboo to build rafts to keep their homes afloat in preparation for flooding expected following the closure of the Lower Sesan II dam’s gates on Saturday.

Kbal Romea resident Foeum Sanay, 43, said the villagers intend to use the bamboo to float some 30 homes, explaining that each one needs 1,000 bamboo sticks to float. So far, said Sanay, the 15-man crew has only managed to collect around 100 bamboo sticks.

Meanwhile, representatives of 24 ethnic minority groups from 15 provinces yesterday issued a joint letter appealing to the National Assembly, the Cambodian government and the Hydropower Lower Sesan II Company to refrain from “forceful and violent evictions” of the 58 indigenous families currently in Kbal Romea.

Eighty-two Kbal Romea families have relocated to land close to National Road 78 as part of a compensation scheme, but 58 families remain in the village. The authors of the letter point to villagers’ complaints about poor soil and difficulty accessing water during the dry season at the relocation site as legitimate reasons for the villagers to remain where they are.

Stung Treng Deputy Provincial Governor Duong Pov said the authorities have no intention of violently evicting the villagers and plan to deploy hundreds of police to the area for the villagers’ protection.

“Sometimes they mock us, but we are patient,” he said.

As for the construction of floating houses, Pov dismissed the effort as a temporary and highly risky solution, saying that with a two-metre increase in water levels at the dam reservoir since Saturday, a further rise of one to three more metres could flood Kbal Romea.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could