Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phone thieves get the sack



Phone thieves get the sack

Phone thieves get the sack

T WO members of the computer operating staff at the Ministry of Post and Telecommunication

(MPTC) were sacked this month for stealing phone services, MPTC Minister So Kun said.

The two operators, who were not identified, operated the codes of public phones that

serve customers making local or overseas calls.

So Kun said one was working in the MPTC and the other was a Telstra-MPTC controlling

system operator.

He said that the two had worked for many years as operators, but he had evidence

they had been stealing services only recently.

So Kun said the stealing of phone services was a growing problem his ministry was

trying to solve.

Theft of telephone services has cropped up recently at public phones.

One Phnom Penh resident, Seng Hong, said she was attempting to make a call to Canada

from a public phone at the post office, when a teenage boy came up and offered to

help her make a phone call to any country in the world for as long as she wanted

for $10.

"I don't know whether this is legal or illegal, but I wanted a cheap call,"

Hong said.

She said the boy punched in some codes and asked her to punch in the number she was

calling, and then pressed, "send."

She said she gave him $10, talked for a half hour and hung up.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting