Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM insists worries about dam overblown

PM insists worries about dam overblown

PM insists worries about dam overblown

In February, Son Chhay wrote to the premier urging him to investigate illegal logging outside the legal clearing area slated for the Stung Tatai dam reservoir in Koh Kong province and the environmental destruction that would be wrought by the Stung Cheay Areng dam.

The 109-megawatt dam project in the Cheay Areng Valley is to be built by the Chinese state-owned firm Guodian Corporation at a cost of US$327 million.

In a reply dated June 11, the premier signalled the dam, which would flood thousands of hectares of protected forest in the Central and Southern Cardamoms, will go ahead despite the protestations from Son Chhay and conservationists.

Hun Sen wrote that “all kinds of experts” had visited the scene during a five-year social and environmental impact assessment completed in 2008 and determined ecological damage could be mitigated.

“But the government has noticed since the government began developing hydropower at Kamchay, Kirirom, Atai, Tatai, Lower Russey Chrum, Lower Sesan II and including Stung Cheay Areng, the opposition party never supports those projects,” Hun Sen wrote.

The premier wrote that 263 families that stood to lose their land would be compensated fairly in line with current market values.

Conservation groups have put the number of people set to be displaced at about 1,500 families and raised alarms that the project, which had been deemed unfeasible by a previous developer, will devastate one of Cambodia’s richest ecological sites for little gain.

Questions have also been raised as to why a subsequent SEIA approved in 2011, after the project changed hands, has not been made publicly available.

Son Chhay said yesterday the response indicated the prime minister had not made any independent investigation into concerns about the dam but simply taken the company’s word at face value.

To contact the reporter on this story: David Boyle at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials