Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM pledges seized timber for schools

PM pledges seized timber for schools

Authorities pose with tractors loaded with luxury wood that were seized in Stung Treng en route to Laos last month. Photo supplied
Authorities pose with tractors loaded with luxury wood that were seized in Stung Treng en route to Laos last month. Photo supplied

PM pledges seized timber for schools

Between 30,000 and 40,000 thousand cubic metres of illegal timber confiscated by an anti-logging taskforce in recent months will be handed over to the Education Ministry to build and repair schools, Prime Minister Hun Sen said yesterday.

The premier made the announcement in a speech on the last day of the ministry’s annual conference.

He also used the opportunity to publicise the government’s decision to make the Prey Lang forest a protected area – part of a series of moves that will see control of five conservation areas shifted from the Agriculture Ministry to Environment Ministry.

Speaking about the timber – seized from various economic land concessions, warehouses and trucks as part of a nationwide logging crackdown led by military police chief Sao Sokha since January – the premier said the decision followed a complaint by Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron that he was short on construction materials for provincial schools.

“I would like to announce that all confiscated wood will be delivered to the Ministry of Education for constructing school doors, windows, tables, chairs and houses for teachers,” Hun Sen said, before warning the Ministry of Economy and Finance not to dock the education budget in response.

The announcement appears to rule out the wood going to timber tycoon Try Pheap, who has exclusive legal rights to buy timber seized by authorities.

Calling the decision “sensible”, Meas Ny, an independent social researcher, said he was curious to see how much of the lumber would turn up at schools, given the demand from “high-level officials”.

“If there are 100 logs, only 10 might show up and 90 will be shared or lost somewhere along the way,” Ny said.

The announcement to make Prey Lang a “protected area” was welcomed, albeit sceptically, by Prey Lang Community Network member Phai Bunleang, one of many forest patrollers who have long battled rampant illegal logging there.

Bunleang estimated about 60 per cent of the forest, which spans five provinces, had been lost over the past 25 years.

According to Environment Minister Say Sam Al, Prey Lang is one of five areas, previously managed by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, to be transferred to his purview. The other four include the Southern Cardamoms Corridor, Prey Preah Roka, Prey Simphan and Prey Vansay.

The “protected” designation will act as a holding pattern while the ministry works to classify them as national parks or wildlife sanctuaries, he said.

Additional reporting by Shaun Turton

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked