Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM rejects KR story

PM rejects KR story

PM rejects KR story

Prime Minister Hun Sen told reporters September 25 it was untrue that he had sought

the "disappearance" of three senior Khmer Rouge leaders in 1998. The denial

came after publication in the Post last issue of a purported record of a meeting

between Hun Sen and then Thai Prime Minister Leekpai. Notes of that meeting reveal

Hun Sen raised the question of Thai assistance in making Ta Mok, Nuon Chea and Khieu

Samphan "disappear".

Hun Sen acknowledged discussions took place, but denied Leekpai's aide was present.

He said the documents had probably been published for political purposes. "I

had raised my proposal to him that he should arrest and send [the KR leaders] to

me, but if he could not arrest them then he should chase them to the border where

Cambodia would be waiting to arrest them," Hun Sen said of the meeting. Leekpai

had earlier told Thai media that he did not recall the conversation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen to ‘step down’ if he loses Sam Rainsy bet over Kem Sokha

    Hun Sen has promised to step down as prime minister while opposition figure Sam Rainsy pledges to turn himself in as forfeits if the long-term political rivals lose a “bet” over the future of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, who is on bail awaiting trial

  • ‘Historic’ Khmer Rouge tribunal Case 002/2 verdict to be delivered

    The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) are to deliver the verdict on Friday, in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, in a pronouncement hailed as a “historic event for Cambodia and the world”. The verdict from

  • Record set for world’s longest dragon boat

    Cambodia broke the world record for the longest dragon boat – a title previously held by China, Guinness World Records adjudicator Pravin Patel said on Monday. He verified the record on the east bank of the Mekong river, in Prey Veng province’s Peamro district. “With

  • Analyst: Government appointments ‘a waste of national budget’

    The government has appointed over 200 officials as undersecretaries of state, secretaries of state, assistants and advisers at various institutions since October 1. While senior officials said the appointments were aimed at ensuring higher efficiency at the national level, social analysts said the practice is merely power-sharing