Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM scolds Thailand over border row



PM scolds Thailand over border row

PM scolds Thailand over border row

Hun Sen raises stalled talks in meeting with Negroponte

PRIME Minister Hun Sen has blasted Thai authorities for allowing their soldiers to continue occupying Cambodian temple complexes along the border.

"I have told US Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte that we currently have no channels of negotiation with Thailand," he told reporters at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs after a meeting late Monday with the visiting US official.

"Thailand continues to send soldiers to temples such as Ta Moan and Ta Krabey, or they are coming themselves to steal our land," he said.

Hun Sen said he would appeal to the UN Security Council to intervene before the conflict becomes violent.

Negroponte arrived in Cambodia on Sunday as part of a three-day visit to strengthen bilateral ties between the Kingdom and the US and to announce US$24 million in funding to strengthen economic development.

The US has also agreed to provide $1.8 million to support the cash-strapped Khmer Rouge tribunal.

Hun Sen acknowledged that Thailand's internal political conflicts have derailed negotiations to resolve the dispute, but said that it should not be used as an excuse to prolong the presence of Thai soldiers on disputed soil.

WE CONTINUE TO BE PATIENT...BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE LEFT OUR TERRITORY LONG AGO.

"We have told our Thai counterparts to maintain regular contact with us to resolve all remaining problems," he said.

Lieutenant General Chea Saran, a deputy infantry commander, said Thai forces have so far been blocked from infiltrating too far into Cambodian territory.

"We have endured the Thai soldiers' behaviour along the border, but we need peace," he said. "We continue to be patient to avoid bloodshed, but they should have left our territory long ago."

Thai and Cambodian military officials met on Monday at O'smach checkpoint to discuss the Ta Moan and Ta Krabey temples, an official at the Cambodian-Thai Relations office said Monday on condition of anonymity.

"We asked the Thai military commanders to withdraw all of their troops from the two temples and return to the deployment areas they occupied prior to July 15," he said.

"The Thai commanders agreed in principle but said they would inform their superiors," he said.

Chum Sambath, undersecretary of state for the Ministry of Defence, said Thailand's incursion showed a lack of respect for Cambodia.

"Why do they allow soldiers to take other people's property along the border? The Thai government should cooperate with us to remove them," he told the Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from