Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM vows to halt surprise factory closings




PM vows to halt surprise factory closings

Prime Minister Hun Sen poses with garment workers attending a speech in Phnom Penh yesterday. Facebook
Prime Minister Hun Sen poses with garment workers attending a speech in Phnom Penh yesterday. Facebook

PM vows to halt surprise factory closings

Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday pledged his commitment to preventing garment factory owners from escaping their obligations to workers by closing their factories without warning, even as the current lack of a formal system for dealing with such situations has left at least one group of affected workers in seeming limbo.

Speaking to more than 10,000 garment workers in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district yesterday, the prime minister said a long-term solution would prevent owners from fleeing the country without having paid severance to their workers when their factories shuttered.

He repeated his February promise to pay $4.6 million from the state coffers to cover unpaid salaries and severance for workers from nine factories whose owners had fled, and said employers should have to pay a deposit to the bank if there were irregularities in their paying of workers.

“Once the employers have fled, we are responsible,” he said, alleging that some such employers went broke “gambling and then fled”.

“But the government needs to be responsible.”

The deposits plan echoes one long floated by labour rights advocates, which the Ministry of Labour recently pledged to put into force. It would require factory owners to make severance payments incrementally into an account that would be used to reimburse workers should their factory abruptly close.

At present, officials typically sell shuttered factories’ assets to cover back pay, but workers and advocates have said the proceeds are rarely enough to cover the entire sum.

However, workers at Por Sen Chey district’s Yu Fa Garment Industry factory, which closed unexpectedly in February and whose owner fled, said that they were resisting the option of selling off the factory’s assets out of fear of being short-changed. Instead, they are hoping to receive their full pay under the government’s $4.6 million pledge, though officials have so far declined to say which nine factories are eligible.

Yu Fa worker Sen Sambath, 35, said unions had assured them that they were among the nine factories.

“We used to bargain about selling the factory’s assets, but after prime minister announced that the government offers $4.6 million, we can’t sell those assets,” she said.

She explained that other factories – such as Yu Fa’s sister factories SRE Garment Co Ltd and Yu Da, which also shuttered – had only received about 60 percent of their final salary and none of their severance from the proceeds of the assets sale. The government, she said, now considered those two conflicts as resolved – a plight she and her colleagues didn’t want to face.

“That’s why we don’t accept selling the factory’s assets,” she said.

William Conklin, of labour rights organisation Solidarity Centre, said those fears were “understandable” as the list of nine factories remained undisclosed.

“It’d be good for the government to assure [publicly] that they are part of the nine factories,” he said, suggesting the Labour Ministry meet with the workers.

Though he believed the government would pay out the promised $4.6 million, he said better solutions should be found. “The government can’t pay out all the time, it’s not sustainable,” he said.

And despite agreeing that in general a deposit might help alleviate the problem, he said this might be difficult to implement.

Suth Chet, a union organiser at the Cambodian Unions Movement of Workers, said the government was too slow in giving out the promised payment. “Workers from Yu Fa factory were looking forward to get their severance compensated, but they still have not received it yet,” he said. “It’s close to Khmer New Year now and workers do not have money to cover it.”

Ath Thorn, president of union C.CAWDU, complained that his union had submitted a letter to the Labour Ministry asking for an official list of the nine factories, but hadn’t heard back.

Labour Ministry spokesperson Heng Sour did not respond to requests for comments.

Additional reporting by Leonie Kijewski

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped