Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Poipet homes under threat from redevelopment

Poipet homes under threat from redevelopment

Poipet commune resident Chhang Heng worries that he may be forced off his land to make room for a road renovation. Licadho
Poipet commune resident Chhang Heng worries that he may be forced off his land to make room for a road renovation. Licadho

Poipet homes under threat from redevelopment

Dozens of families are in danger of losing their homes after authorities informed them that the land along a disused former road that they have inhabited for over 20 years is slated for redevelopment.

Resident Chhang Heng said he has been living in Poipet’s Kbal Spean I village for over 10 years, but some villagers claim to have lived there since the 1990s and earlier.

“I bought the land from another villager, and most of them don’t have a receipt [as proof of sale]. The government measured the land systematically, but they did not measure for me; they said the land is reserved for the road,” Heng said.

Authorities claim the land was a road many years ago. When it fell into disrepair, villagers moved in. While Heng and the others haven’t been ordered to leave yet, the government may do so whenever it decides to rebuild the road.

Some 30 families have since filed a letter to the Poipet town administration to intervene and grant them land titles.

However, no such deal will be extended to the villagers, according to Prak Poly, head of the provincial land management committee.

“If it is the land for the road and we issue them a legal land title, it would be illegal,” he said.

Both the Poipet commune chief and town governor, meanwhile, said that they have no power over land management authorities.

“If the experts say that is the road, it is the road. Though you lived there since 1979, it is still the road, because it is part of the master plan,” said Commune Chief Phork Lorn.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (