Following repeated non-compliance, officials in Banteay Meanchey province’s Poipet town have, to further ensure public safety, taken down stalls and billboards illegally constructed within five metres of main streets and National Road 5.
Led by Poipet governor Keat Hol, the dismantling operation took place on August 29, with the town’s top public official stating that an uncompromising public order campaign was underway across the entire municipality.
The dedicated working group aims to conclude the initiative within one or two months, he added.
“In organising this public initiative, we extended notifications on May 22 to all individuals, vendors, traders and business owners to voluntarily remove unauthorised or disorderly equipment,” Hol said.
Regrettably, some individuals failed to cooperate with the directive, he added.
He said the objective was to ensure ordered foot-traffic flow to enhance the town’s aesthetics and quality of life, as well as improving the province’s image and bolstering national pride.
Hol noted that while there had been some dissenters, the majority of residents had enthusiastically engaged in the efforts, with the town’s leadership receiving widespread support, particularly from the social media community, for its resolute enforcement of the measures.
“We are working towards the town’s betterment, and the ongoing endevours have garnered positive sentiment from most quarters.
“This comes from the aspiration for a more visually appealing and well-structured urban environment,” he said.
Hol noted that following the completion of the action, the town intends to establish pedestrian walkways, contingent upon available funds.
Sum Chankea, the local coordinator for the ADHOC rights group in the province, could not be reached for comment on August 30.