Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police arrest eight in massage parlour raids

Police arrest eight in massage parlour raids

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Six men and two women are in police custody. POLICE

Police arrest eight in massage parlour raids

Six men and two women are in police custody after two separate police raids in Pailin and Siem Reap province last week targeted sex trafficking at massage parlours.

Pailin Provincial Court’s investigating judge on Sunday continued to question six suspects for having allegedly solicited sex, Pailin Provincial Police’s Department of Combating Human Trafficking and Juveniles Protection director Yoem Ratha said.

He said one suspect was a Cambodian, aged 31, another was a Thai national, 45, and four others were of Vietnamese origin and aged 35, 27, 25 and 22.

The men were sent to the Pailin Provincial Court on Friday before being transferred to provincial police headquarters for the night to complete questioning.

“The suspects [have not been] accused by the court since it is still questioning them. However, they’re [suspected of being] involved in sex trafficking,” Ratha said on Sunday.

The six were arrested in a raid on Stung Kach commune’s Phsar Prom village in Sala Krao district on Thursday after a joint police effort cracked down on the massage parlour at 1am on Friday.

Authorities discovered four condoms on a suspect and 10 used ones in a rubbish bin during the operation.

Two additional women also face sex trafficking-related charges after they were arrested during raids on LyLy 168 massage parlour and Luck Nuvo Massage & Spa in Siem Reap town on Thursday.

Provincial Anti-Human Trafficking deputy police chief Duong Thavry said on Thursday that LyLy 168 owner Horn Sokly and Luck Nuvo Massage & Spa owner Soeun Thida were sent to Siem Reap Provincial Prison.

Thavry said police officials saved five victims, including two minors during the crackdown. He said the five were sent to the Provincial Department of Social Affairs.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges