Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police arrest twelve amid excavator accident

Police arrest twelve amid excavator accident

Police arrest twelve amid excavator accident

Banteay Meanchey provincial Military Police sent 12 people to court on Tuesday for running a mountain excavation business without a valid licence.

Authorities said the legal action is part of a weeklong crackdown on unauthorised mountain excavation to protect natural resources in the province.

Provincial Military Police public communication office head Lak Phy told The Post on Tuesday that the authorities had inspected and found illegal operations at four sites – two in Preah Neth Preah district, one in Svay Chek district and one in Serey Sophoan town.

“We arrested 12 people including business owners. Some evidence such as four excavators and eight trucks [were also seized],” he said, adding that the business had since been halted by a prosecutor.

Villagers in Preah Neth Preah district’s Phnom Leab commune said the crackdown followed a fatal accident on November 6, when a worker died after he fell off his excavator while driving it at the site.

Preah Neth Preah district Military Police commander Sin Rasy said on Tuesday that the worker’s employer, Soeum Sambo, 33, was arrested later that day and sent to court after authorities found that he ran the business without a valid licence.

His brother-in-law Oeun Sophoeut said Sambo had since been put in pre-trial detention on charges of “illegal land excavation leading to the damage of natural resources at Leab Mountain and negligence causing the death of a worker”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Prime Minister Hun Sen invites US president to attend summit in Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen personally invited US President Joe Biden to attend the ASEAN-US Summit which is set to be held in Cambodia in November, as ASEAN and the US are expected to upgrade their strategic partnership to a ‘comprehensive strategic partnership’, according to Prime

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub