Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police deny shooting at Veng Sreng

Police deny shooting at Veng Sreng

Men sit with their hands bound after being arrested by military police for their involvement in deadly clashes on Veng Sreng Boulevard in 2014. RFA
Men sit with their hands bound after being arrested by military police for their involvement in deadly clashes on Veng Sreng Boulevard in 2014. RFA

Police deny shooting at Veng Sreng

Despite the absence of the defendants and their lawyers, the Appeal Court yesterday heard the case of 13 demonstrators convicted over a violent minimum wage protest on the capital’s Veng Sreng Boulevard in January 2014, where security forces allegedly shot to death at least four people and wounded many others.

Appeal Court judge Chay Chandaravan confirmed the hearing went ahead, though the group, who were released from custody in May 2014, after being handed suspended sentences for intentional violence, were not in attendance.

Instead, police and military officers present at the rally were given the chance to testify against the men, according to Licadho’s Am Sam Ath, who was in the court room.

“Only police and military police testified, putting the blame and responsibility on the workers,” Sam Ath said, adding that the prosecutor also pushed for the conviction to be upheld.

Four people were killed when security forces allegedly opened fire at the rally. One man is missing and presumed dead.

However, Sam Ath said officers from both the police and military yesterday denied their men fired at protesters, despite numerous witnesses who saw armed security forces discharge live ammunition into the crowd.

“Police said they only used shields, truncheons and tear gas and did not kill any workers,” he said.

Contacted yesterday, the group’s lawyer, Ham Sunrith, said he was unable to inform his clients of the hearing in time because they had changed residences.

A verdict is due on February 4.

MOST VIEWED

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on