Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police deny Vietnam casino hostage reports

Police deny Vietnam casino hostage reports

Police deny Vietnam casino hostage reports

Cambodia police at Svay Rieng province’s Bavet town denied Viet­namese media allegations that a man had his finger chopped off by gangsters there as part of a ransom demand, officers said yesterday.

Keo Kong, police chief of Bavet town, said he had received no news of casinos keeping hostages and cutting off body parts.

“We are close with [neighbouring Vietnam province] Long An police ... they would have reported it to us,” Keo Kong said.

Viet­namese media over the week­end reported a Vietnamese national had been held hostage in the Las Vegas Ca­sino in Bavet and had his finger chopped off by loan sharks as part of a ransom demand.

Police chief Lim Eang, who controls all casinos in Bavet, similarly said such reports were often fabricated. “We have tried to investigate these reports before, but we have not found one single case to be true,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on