Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police drop brick attack case

Police drop brick attack case

Police drop brick attack case

CITY police officials say they have ceased investigation into the case of a Canadian man who was hit in the head by a brick thrown from an SUV last month, without making any arrests.

At least eight expats have been struck by brick-like projectiles within the span of a few months – each has reported being hit by a brick or stone thrown from a passing SUV or pickup truck.

Former Post reporter Patrick Falby is the only expat known to have reported the incident to police, after being hit in the jaw by a brick on July 13.

But Sok Chhorn, the police chief in Daun Penh district’s Chey Chumneah commune, said yesterday that police were no longer investigating Falby’s case.

“We have not found the suspect.... We are not in the process of investigation,” he said. “There is no case anymore.”

The United States Embassy is in the process of updating its website to warn prospective travellers about the attacks, a measure that may deter tourists from visiting Phnom Penh.

“There was no special meeting on the issue at the embassy, but the soon updated website link on country-specific information will include information on the brick throwing,” an embassy spokesman said yesterday.

Travel advisory websites are also warning travellers about the spate of brick attacks. Website Wikitravel.org has listed “unprovoked brick attacks” as one of the city’s main dangers.

On Thursday, Voice of America reported that two eyewitnesses saw the arrest of a man as he was attempting to throw a brick at a foreigner from a Toyota Vigo pickup truck outside Wat Ounalom at around 11pm on Wednesday. The witnesses said they believed the man was the son of a high-ranking government official.

But Daun Penh police chief Hun Sothy said yesterday that he “did not know” about any arrest. National Police spokesman Kirt Chantharith also denied knowledge of the arrest.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman