Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police to investigate rape allegations against officer

Police to investigate rape allegations against officer

Police to investigate rape allegations against officer

Phnom Penh police will pursue legal action against an officer who stands accused of raping a woman in a karaoke bar, the capital’s police chief said Sunday.

Municipal police Chief Touch Naruth said the investigation against police officer Uong Dara, 43, will be sent to Municipal Court. In the meantime, the accused officer should be sacked, he said.

“I already requested the district to fire him and am now preparing to file the rape case in court,” he said.

Uong Dara is acccused of raping a 22-year-old woman on October 30 in a Meanchey district karaoke parlour.

Touch Naruth said the accused officer paid the woman US$250, expecting the complaint would be dropped. The woman has since left the capital without leaving behind any contact information, thereby complicating the investigation, he said.

The police chief denied previous media reports that suggested investigators would drop their case against the accused officer because the victim was not a virgin.

“It is not true,” Touch Naruth said. “Even if she was a prostitute or a sex worker who is sexually abused, they must absolutely be sent to court.”

An advocate with local human rights group Adhoc praised the police pledge to sack the officer, but urged the courts to prosecute him as well.

“The man must be brought before the courts to face a criminal charge,” said Lim Mony, chief of the the women’s programme for Adhoc.

Touch Naruth would not give a timeline for when the case would be sent to court. The Post was unable to confirm details on any investigation against another man, who is not a police officer, alleged to have been involved in the attack.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not