Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police launching probe into Mondulkiri killing spree

Police launching probe into Mondulkiri killing spree

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police examine the body of a man who was killed in Mondulkiri province on February 2. FACEBOOK

Police launching probe into Mondulkiri killing spree

Five people were killed and another boy seriously injured following a violent rampage by an unidentified man in Pou Chrei commune’s Me Pai village of Mondulkiri province’s Pech Chreada district.

Provincial deputy police chief So Sovann said the five murders had occurred on February 1. The case was now being investigated by the police, but they had not yet drawn any strong conclusions.

“According to preliminary investigations, we suspect that spite may have been the motive, but we have yet to identify a suspect. When we examined the victims, we found that they had all been beaten with a blunt object,” he said.

Sen Monorom town deputy police chief Cheng Mab identified four of the dead as Moth Krak, 45, his wife Nich Srey, 41, their sons Krak Ny and Krak Ly, aged 5 and 15. The fifth was Nuon Sam Ath, the 15-year-old son of another family in the village.

The injured boy, Krak Si, who is the 12-year-old son of Krak and Srey, was knocked unconscious after being hit in the neck by the suspect. The police chief noted that the family lived in Sen Monorom town but had recently moved to the district.

He said that before the incident, another son of the couple who lived in Sen Monorom town called his father around noon, but it went unanswered. The boy then went to visit the family in the district, but discovered that the house was empty.

The family’s motorcycle was still parked in front of the house, so he decided to go and look for them. He and his dog were searching the local creeks when he discovered the bodies of his father and two brothers. At 1pm, he called the police to alert them to his grisly find.

Mab said that following the call, he led a team of police to the scene. The three bodies were found between 100m and 200m from the family home. On February 3, the police discovered the bodies of the mother and the 15-year-old son of another family about 1km from the house. The boy was visiting the family to buy cakes, and it is surmised that he was killed because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“A forensic examination of the bodies revealed that the victims had been beaten to death with a blunt object. In addition, Krak had been shot in the head,” Mab added.

Sovann said the NGO Child Protection Unit was cooperating with the police to provide scientific and technical assistance in investigating the case.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro