Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police offer rewards for tipoffs

Police offer rewards for tipoffs

Police offer rewards for tipoffs

KAMPONG Cham provincial police have announced a more than 1 million riel [about US$247] reward for information leading to the capture of a 27-year-old woman accused of kidnapping and extortion who has escaped from police custody.

Chem Seng Hong, deputy provincial police chief, said yesterday that he was confident that the woman – who is accused of kidnapping a 6-year-old girl and demanding a $20,000 ransom – would be found.

“We hope that pretty soon we will arrest the accused woman, which is not much of a worry as we know her background as a prostitute, and she is not a professional kidnapper or robber,” he said.

The woman was arrested in a Phnom Penh bank on Sunday while waiting for the ransom money, which had been negotiated down to $12,000, to be transferred by the girl’s parents. She allegedly escaped from custody by climbing through a gap 25-centimeters high between the wall and roof of a police station bathroom the following day.

Chem Seng Hong said police were offering a reward of 1 million riels “to people who tip off good information about the suspect’s whereabouts, and will give more than this once the suspect is apprehended”.

Robber evidence sought
In an unrelated case, Toul Kork district governor yesterday announced a 5 million riel [about $1,234] reward offered for information leading to the arrest of two men suspected of a string of brutal armed robberies in Phnom Penh.

District deputy governor Saing Sophak Vichet said officials hoped the reward money would be “a big amount for our people” and encourage dresidents to “be brave enough to report” any pertinent information to police.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Funcinpec ‘set to sell their headquarters’, says source

    An anonymous source from Funcinpec said acting president Prince Norodom Chakravuth had held a meeting with other officials to discuss selling several of the party headquarters across the country while the party president Prince Norodom Ranariddh receives medical treatment at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital