Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police raid Chinese extortion racket

Police raid Chinese extortion racket

Police raid Chinese extortion racket

120521_04

Taiwanese and Chinese nationals accused of running an international extortion ring were arrested over the weekend in the capital. Photograph: supplied

Another massive crackdown on Taiwanese and Chinese nationals accused of operating a Phnom Penh-based international extortion ring – the third in less than a year – yielded 49 arrests over the weekend, police said yesterday.

Lieutenant General Chhay Sinarith, director of the Internal Security Department at the Ministry of Interior, said the suspects, who were identified to Cambodian authorities by Chinese police, were arrested by his forces in raids on eight different sites in the Chamkarmorn, Tuol Kork and Sen Sok districts of Phnom Penh.

“This was the third time our Cambodian police have cracked down and arrested these Chinese mafia groups in Cambodia,” Chhay Sinarith told the Post. “They were using VoIP [Voice over Internet Protocol, a type of internet phone service] from Cambodia to threaten and extort money from many people in China and Taiwan.”

Authorities arrested nearly 200 suspected mafia members using the same methods of extortion last June, and arrested 60 others earlier this year.

According to Chhay Sinarith, a report sent by Chinese police to Cambodian authorities last week stated that the group had been operating here for years.

Using information gleaned from the report, authorities mounted a search that led investigators to the suspects’ homes in Phnom Penh.

“Cambodian ministries involved are now in contact with the Chinese government for extraditions,” said Chhay Sinarith. “We are planning to extradite them to their countries this week.”

General Kirth Chantharith, spokesman for the national police, called on all Cambodians to be on the lookout for similar groups.

“To prevent such mafia groups in Cambodia in future, I would like to appeal to all people to cooperate and report to the police immediately when they see any group of foreign people who have committed questionable activities,” he said.

Officials at the Chinese Embassy in Cambodia could not be reached for comment.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Former opposition leader tells soldiers, Cambodians to unite to fight CPP

    Former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) President Sam Rainsy has called for a popular uprising after the July 29 national elections to force a change of government. He called on the armed forces and people to stand united to fight the ruling Cambodian People’s Party-led

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Police warn boycott FB group involved in the “Clean Fingers Campaign”

    Police said on Tuesday that they will pick up members of a Facebook group involved in the “Clean Fingers Campaign” that promotes a boycott of next month’s national elections. However, police merely planned to “educate” the group for now, but warned that if the