Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police seize 20 tons of weapons from ship on way to Vietnam



Police seize 20 tons of weapons from ship on way to Vietnam

Police seize 20 tons of weapons from ship on way to Vietnam

Aship carrying 20 tons of weapons was detained at Dong Village Prek Phmeou

commune, Pomhea Leu district along the river from the Tonle Sap Reasmey

Kampuchea reported last week.

The ship Chau Giang Hai Phong was making a

return journey to Vietnam when it was stopped.

On its voyage to Phnom

Penh, it had carried spare engine parts and cement.

On its return, it was

laden with 300 tons of the old iron.

Upon inspection, police discovered

more than 20 tons of assorted used weapons including M-16s, B-40s and AK-47s,

with 20 percent of the weapons functional and the rest requiring minor

repairs.

Dam Van Viet, captain of the 19-man Vietnamese crew, claimed

that a company named Uy Sampromexim rented the ship for the Phnom Penh-Vietnam

journey for $10,000.

He said he was not aware that there were weapons on

board as he was not there when the cargo was loaded.

Uy Sampromexim is

owned by the wife of Uy Sambath, Vice Director of customs and former Minister of

Commerce.

Cambodia has vast supplies of used weapons which can be

purchased easily in the capital, one public market on the road to the airport

openly sells sophisticated armaments from many countries.

Weapons

shipments have previously been intercepted on the Thai border on their way to

arm Burmese rebels fighting the country's brutal military regime.

Western

observers were unable to speculate on the likely final destination of the

weapons seized on board the ship.

One analyst noted a certain irony in

the fact that while troups fighting in the northwest complained regularly about

inadequate arms supplies, such a large stockpile of hardware was headed for the

Vietnamese border.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting