Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Poll protesters uneasy over list

Poll protesters uneasy over list

Poll protesters uneasy over list

Recriminations swirled as residents of Kandal province’s Sa’ang district who blocked unfamiliar voters from casting their ballots at a polling station said local authorities have been visiting their homes and writing down their names, without saying why.

According to resident Ly Meng, protesters in Sa’ang district’s Sa’ang Phnom commune had simply wanted to ensure that elections were “fair”. A district official, however, said yesterday that those blocked from voting had been properly registered, and that he suspected the demonstrators were strangers.

“We do not prevent people from voting. It is because many new faces turned up to vote, and also Yuon came to vote,” Meng said, using an at times racially charged term for Vietnamese. “Because of such irregularities, we proposed to them to close the [polling] station.”

Since then, village guards have been compiling a list of people involved in blocking the so-called newcomers, Meng added, but would not divulge why.

Villager Tat Samuon also defended the decision to block the poll, and said he suspected the list was targeting villagers “for their arrest, because on Election Day they arrested one person, but he was released”.

Sa’ang Phnom district governor Kim Chankiri, however, maintained that newcomers had proper documents, and had registered to vote in the area because they worked there.

“I think the banning was deliberate, because the voters are from the outside, not people from the village. This is systematic incitement to make trouble during the election,” he said, adding that those who started the protest were the real strangers.

Chankiri said he did not know why a list was being made, but that he had seen a copy, and “so far, we do not know the people whose names were listed”.

Kim Hong, chairman of the provincial election committee, said that despite having 258 registered voters, the station saw only 86 cast a ballot before the disruption forced the poll to close. Hong added that he had left it to the parties to file complaints.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,