Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Poll says land theft remains key concern



Poll says land theft remains key concern

Poll says land theft remains key concern

A recent public opinion poll revealed a high percentage of Cambodians who say someone has tried to steal their land in the past three years, prompting concern from rights groups yesterday.

Seven percent of Cambodians said someone had tried to steal all or part of their land, in a poll released on Friday by the International Republican Institute.

That percentage represents about 500,000 residents based on the Kingdom’s population of an estimated 14 million.

Five percent said at least part of their land had been stolen.

Ou Virak, president of the Cambodian Centre for Human Rights, said those responses were “not just an opinion poll”.

“It’s actually things that have happened to them. I think that’s very significant”, he said.

The poll’s sample size of 2,000 is representative for the Cambodian population aged 18 or older by gender and province according to 2008 census data, said John Willis, IRI country director.

Matthieu Pellerin, a consultant for the rights group Licadho, said the percentage was a “huge” number that appeared to confirm recent data.

A 2009 Licadho report said more than 250,000 Cambodians in about half the country had been affected by land disputes between 2003 and 2008.

Ou Virak said he was “surprised” by the high percentage in the IRI poll, but said it was “scientific enough.”

Even with a margin of error of 2.2 percent, he said, three percent of people who had land stolen would still be “very high”.

The poll excluded those who might have an interest in its results, Willis said. People were disqualified if they or their family members were employed by media, the government or political parties.

Only seven percent of respondents in the survey said that land-grabbing was the issue they felt “most impacts” their daily life. But Ou Virak said “there is no way” the government could avoid the issue.

“When people lose… land, which affects them directly, these are people who are going to be holding grudges”, he said. “You have people feeling angry that their property is unjustly taken away”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting