Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Poor migrants caught clearing forest



Poor migrants caught clearing forest

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A protected land was recently cleared.

Poor migrants caught clearing forest

The Poutil ethnic community members from Busra commune in Mondulkiri province’s Pichreada district handed two men to district police for further action on Thursday, after they allegedly cleared many hectares of forest in their community.

However, the men have since been released after questioning.

Community representative Srang Soeun said the forest in their community, in the commune’s Buon village, has been cleared for cultivation by migrants from Kampong Cham, Tboung Khmum and Stung Treng.

Before the arrest, community members were patrolling the forest when they found the two – Oul Kosal, 24, and Ream Thy, 27 – clearing many hectares of forest in the community.

“We caught them and seized evidence, including a chainsaw and two machetes, a coil of rope and a motorbike. The men were handed over to district authorities along with the evidence for further action,” Soeun said.

He said the two suspects are migrants from Kampong Cham and Tboung Khmum provinces.

The pair was also previously caught for clearing the community forest. This was last year, but they were only warned against repeating the offence.

Kosal’s brother, Oul Thy, said before clearing the forest they had verbally requested a social land concession from local authorities but had no legal documents or written permission for the logging.

“We just want the land for a house and farming because we are poor and cannot afford to buy land,” he said.

Pichreada district police chief Ton Yen confirmed that the two suspects were arrested by Putil community members for illegally logging the forest.

Buon village chief Chet Chris and Busra commune chief Yoeut Sarin also acknowledged that the pair had asked for a plot to build a house and cultivate crops as they were poor.

“They were caught red-handed while clearing the forest using a chainsaw,” Yen said, adding that after the village and commune chiefs’ acknowledgement, the pair had since been released and had been asked to thumbprint a letter promising to stop repeating the offence.

Poutil community chief Sroe Chheunh said local authorities have no right to cede community forest land to an individual because it is reserved for the next generation of the ethnic community.

“Our community will probe the release of the two suspects to find out whether they really are poor and homeless. They should request a social land concession from the government, not our community forest land,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year